Thursday, January 20, 2011

Comrades in Arms

Before we continue with the encounter between Martha and Jesus in Luke 10 (see MARTHA, MARTHA, MARTHA), I would like to share a couple of thoughts that demonstrate the real-life, practical side of what we have been discussing in the previous two posts. As a review, we have seen that the ‘opposite-sisters’ can be compared with several different descriptions:

Mary-Contemplative     
Martha-in over-drive         

Mary-Stops to smell the roses  
Martha-cuts the stems at perfect angles and arranges them in a vase with ribbons and baby’s breath

Mary-at peace
Martha-stressed

Mary-learning at Jesus feet        
Martha-over occupied with much serving

Mary-focused on Christ                               
Martha-distracted

Can you think of others??

However, we also have previously discussed how that it takes both the Mary-type and the Martha-type working together for the cause of Christ. Martha often comes across as being ‘the bad guy’, but that isn’t the case, as we will see below. Remember, the problem was not in WHAT she was doing, rather, it was HOW and WHY she was doing it that brought Jesus’ rebuke. Both types need to make sure we are using our strengths and guarding our weaknesses as ‘unto the Lord’ and not ‘unto man.’
Below is an example of how Marys and Marthas should work together and an example of what often takes place instead in our own hearts.

EMILY’S REFLECTIONS:
A friend of mine recently reflected on her blog about a dear friend and colleague who had passed away a year ago from cancer. After reading it, I was touched by the relationship that had developed between them, and I quickly ‘saw’ the Mary/Martha similarities. At the end, I simply said, “WOW!”
My friend and her colleague both worked in the office of a bustling church my husband and I enjoyed visiting this past summer. She commented that at the beginning of their relationship ‘things just didn’t click”, especially when they worked in the same office. Changes separated their work area and with time a friendship developed. My friend said her colleague quickly became an encourager and brought needed advice as she struggled with insecurities of her new responsibilities. My friend spoke of her colleague’s wisdom and ability to discern. She wrote of numerous trips made down the hall to glean from her dear friend. She also stated that often times her friend came to her for advice and encouragement regarding food or preparations for an upcoming reception or activity. Immediately I saw the Mary/Martha personalities sharing their strengths with one another. I was so excited to see an example of these two ladies working together for the cause of Christ! The amazing thing is that my friend mentioned that through the years, their strained and uncomfortable relationship turned into a very special “camaraderie”. They had learned from each other and had learned to love and respect each other in the process. She concluded with this statement about where their friendship had eventually led. “We were perfect partners, perfect friends—of the most unlikely kind!”  What a lovely, heart-warming example of how “Mary” and “Martha” should complement each other! ( thoughts used with permission)
You see, my friend found that in the midst of her insecurities and feelings of being overwhelmed with her new job, it was a ‘Mary’ friend who brought peace, comfort, and encouragement.  How many times in our lives do we find ourselves in that position-Insecure? Overwhelmed?  At those times we need to find a “Mary”.
But, on the other side of the coin, how many times have we been placed in a situation where something needed to be done, and have screamed out, “HELP!!!-I don’t even know where to begin?” At that point, we, like my friend’s colleague, go running to a Martha.

As an example of how I have come along through this journey, my pastor’s wife asked me the other night to be thinking of ideas, etc. for our missions’ conference dinner. I didn’t panic. I didn’t say, ‘find someone else for that job!” No, I accepted and my mind started swirling with ideas. Later, I shared some ideas with my husband, and said, “Now to find a ‘Martha’ to pull it all together.”
OK, ALL YOU LADIES FROM MY CHURCH—IF YOU ARE HIDING YOUR MARTHANESS-IT IS TIME TO STEP FORWARD. I AM COMING AFTER YOU!!!

YOU MEAN-- SHE’S NOT PERFECT AFTER ALL????
Another example was brought to my attention as well.  Remember at the end of “She’s Got… Personality” I mentioned a special missionary friend, who, in my opinion, was a perfect example of both Mary and Martha?  She responded with a laugh and commented how she sees herself as such a Martha and wishes she could be a better Mary. She saw her strengths-planning, but also saw her weakness-“I get so caught up in the details that I often forget the people involved in the event.” JEESH- and I thought she was perfect!  I still love you, AJ!
Her final statement in her comment about the Mary’s and Martha’s from our church (her sending church) made me laugh. I guess now we have two levels of Marthas-the Planning Martha and the Decorating Martha??????
We need to be so careful to not allow ourselves to get into the comparing rut. I remember describing myself once as a “Mary, who feels guilty about not being a Martha’.  And, to my friend in Brazil, please don’t feel guilty about being a Martha—we NEED you!  
Remember Romans 12:3 “…but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.”  
As we go further into this, we will discuss ways Marys can increase their Marthaness and ways Marthas can increase their Maryness. However, please note, we should never set out to completely change to the other one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment