Monday, March 28, 2011

Overwhelmed in Psalm 61:2

Last week I discussed the words overwhelm, whelm, and underwhelm. I also introduced how the word overwhelm was used in the Old Testament and promised a look at its usage in a couple of Psalms.

As a quick review, we saw that overwhelm in the Old Testament usually depicts the feeling one is left with after a disastrous event. It is usually used with a subject that involves the heart or the soul. The basic thought is that one’s soul is left faint, weakened, exhausted and languished after experiencing a disastrous or dramatic circumstance. (Info from TWOT and Old Testament Professor Dr. Stephen Schrader, Baptist Bible College/Grad School)

If you are familiar with the Old Testament, you know David experienced many overwhelming circumstances! He speaks of one in Psalm 61.

                Verses 1-2: Hear my cry, O God: Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry unto You. When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

My Children’s Ministry Resource Bible from CEF provides the following notes from this passage. The phrase “end of the earth” is a Hebrew idiom expressing personal extremity. In other words, David was completely covered in trial and turmoil. He was at the end of his rope. The phrase “rock that is higher than I” refers to a place of safety in God’s care ABOVE earthly turmoil. 

I don’t believe David could have used a better combination of metaphors to express his emotions at this particular time!

David’s emotions (his innermost being) were taken to a personal extreme-to a point beyond earthly turmoil.  David looked for a strong rock to grab onto.  But notice, David did not just say “lead me to A rock that is higher than I.” He called out, “Lead me to THE Rock that is higher than I." David knew that when his soul was exhausted and in languish he could cry unto the Lord and be led safely to the Rock that is higher than the submerged condition of his soul.

C.H. Spurgeon, in Treasury of David, rewrites David’s prayer as follows, “when huge waves of trouble wash over me, when I am completely submerged…”   Yes, William Tyndale (or one of his translators) chose the perfect word when they placed the word OVERWHELM in verse 2!

What about you? Is your soul weak? Faint? Exhausted? Or, in languish from disappointment, crisis, or heartache? Do stress and responsibilities buffet you and wash over you like angry waves;  leaving you with your head buried in your hands? ARE YOU OVERWHELMED?

Do what David did in times of old when he was overwhelmed with grief, false accusations, disappointments, and uncertainties. Do what David did when both his soul and his physical body were exhausted from running. Look to THE Rock that is higher than you, higher than your struggles~~ The Rock  of our salvation, God’s Son, Jesus Christ. Only He can rescue a submerged soul.

Spurgeon concluded his commentary on Psalm 61:2 with the following: “It is all over for me, for affliction is all over me, surrounding me like a cloud, swallowing me like a sea, shutting me in  with thick darkness”  Feel that way?  Let’s continue. “Yet God is near, near enough to hear my voice, and I will call Him.”  That was David’s prayer. And, as we read verses 3 and 4 we see how his faith was strengthened as he declared God’s protection, help, and goodness—HIS GRACE!

                Verses 3-4 For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.

Maybe you can remember this little ditty to cling to when you feel overwhelmed:

When he was overwhelmed, David knew just what to do. 
I, too, will follow Psalm 61:1-2

Lead me to THE Rock that is higher than I~~

Debbie
 

1 comment:

  1. Debbie-
    I enjoyed reading your blog today. I often ask God to help me evaluate and properly set my priorities in order to try to become "overwhelmed". Sometimes we need to learn a lesson about taking on too much. We should learn that lesson quickly. Otherwise we'll unnecessarily overburden ourselves. Applying some of the advice you have given from scripture should make it easier. Remember that fear lies at the root of much of our anxiety, and we shouldn't allow it to immobilize us. Rest in the Lord, Trust in Him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete