Thursday, July 26, 2012

Take Heart~~SELAH


About a week ago I started reading through Charles Spurgeon’s Treasury of David (even though there are 1528 pages, and I am only on page 15!).  
 
Today, a passage in Psalm 3 struck me. It actually struck me so hard that, as I read verse 3, I 'added words' in my head. This realization left me to say, “wow~that’s good stuff!”

Here is what led to that ‘added phrase’.

Spurgeon used the opportunity from verse 2 to introduce the word SELAH (I have a friend who named their daughter Selah. What a beautiful name when you consider the following description). He defines SELAH as a musical pause to prepare the voice or the instrument for a change in pitch or volume to introduce a dramatic theme or conclusion. I think of it as the high soprano taking that deep breath before ‘belting’ out the high note at the climax of the cantata! 

Spurgeon states that with a SELAH "there is always something excellent where we are required to rest, pause, meditate, or lift our hearts in grateful song." He encourages us to read and contemplate on what comes just before and just after the SELAH. 

So, I went back and reread the end of verse two and the beginning of verse three. In verses 1-2, David laments his troubles as he runs from his son, Abasolm. He admits that his enemies are taunting that even His God has turned His back on David and can’t/won’t help him now! David probably feels this as well as he recalls his sins against Uriah and Bathsheba (a Spurgeon note).

Then verse three follows the SELAH: But…..You, Lord….

At this point, I wrote in the margin~ But “no, they’ve got it all wrong”.  Actually I wrote “NOO-ooo, they’ve got it all wrong!” Can’t you just see David rising, placing one hand on his hip and shaking the pointer finger of the other hand and saying, “They may say you have turned against me too, but NOO-ooo, they have it all wrong, because you O, Lord are my shield, you lift up my head, and you hear my voice from your Holy hill!

Wow! Can’t you just hear (and feel) the confidence return? 

Spurgeon explains that the word shield is actually from the word buckler, which protects you from all sides. 

Are you in a tough spot? Going through tough circumstances? Feel like everything and everyone is caving in around you? Feel like even God has forsaken you? Take heart~~~

Take that deep breath and belt it out~~NOOO, I’ve got it all wrong! 

He is my shield (my buckler!)

          He will lift my head

                   He will hear my voice from His holy hill

Get out of the pit and move forward~~~The sovereign creator God has your back!

SELAH,

Debbie

1 comment: