Friday, September 21, 2012

...out of deep waters



Returning our thoughts to Psalm 18 from my previous post, I would like to invite you to check out my March 28, 2011, post from my archives. Here I presented some interesting and encouraging thoughts regarding the use of the word ‘overwhelmed’ in Psalms 61.

As I was going through that first section of Psalm 18 a couple of weeks ago, I thought of that blog post as I read verses 4 and 16. 

Let’s put the two together.

The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.

Once again, as seen in Psalm 61, and other Old Testament passages, the word 'overwhelmed' is used in context with completely being covered over, like a flood.

And, although the word 'overwhelmed' is not used in verse 16, we can still see the same word picture.

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.

So, as we refer back to March 28, 2011 and Psalm 61, we see David once again called out to The One who can handle the ‘flood’. 

Lead me to THE ROCK that is higher than I. 

He draws us out of the deep ‘overwhelming’ waters and places us in a safe, spacious place (18:19).

As I stated 18 months ago~~
Maybe you can remember this little ditty to cling to when you feel overwhelmed:

When he was overwhelmed, David knew just what to do. 
I, too, will follow Psalm 61:1-2

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment