Monday, March 5, 2012

Caution: Yielding may be Dangerous!


I trust you have enjoyed a smile from Genesis 17:19 and Psalm 62:9, as well as a boost of encouragement. One friend said Genesis 17:19 (Taking a Detour) stepped on all ten toes, sorry Martha! My daughter in law commented on having a bad people day just seconds after I posted ‘Lighter than Air’!

This week’s verse may not have the comical appeal like last week’s, but it is just as powerful, and the message is just as important to our Christian walk.

I decided upon today’s verse last Wednesday evening as my husband was speaking from Proverbs 7. Once again, one small phrase stuck out and caused me to say, “That’s it!” The theme of this chapter is Solomon’s warning to his son, and all young boys under his tutelage ~BEWARE! He was warning them to beware of the ‘strange’ woman (who represents sin and foolishness) and her deceptive ways. The implication for us is to beware of the deceptiveness of sin as it creeps up on us with enticing words and pictures. If we are not careful, we find ourselves trapped and stuck with the consequences.

So, just how do the lies and deceptions of the world manage to get us into those situations?

Verse 21 struck me as the key to our response to the sinful enticements that are thrown at us on a regular basis. “…and caused him to yield”. That is when we find ourselves in trouble. Satan lures us with flattery and sensationalism in an effort to get our attention. Once those enticements cause us to yield~~cause us to stop and think about it~~we are hooked!

This reminds me of the children’s song, “Be Careful Little Ears What you Hear, Be Careful Little Eyes What you See…..  or, the adult version,  Slow Fade” by Casting Crowns.  Enjoy the link below when you are finished reading! 


I remember learning about the word ‘yield’ as a child. I had always thought of it as a positive word; something we were SUPPOSED to do. Then when I started reading it in the Bible as a negative word (something we WEREN’T supposed to do), I was confused. Confused, of course, until my mom explained what ‘yield’ really meant.~Slow down, maybe even stop, long enough to think on it~

That is exactly why scripture says yield NOT to temptation~Don’t take the time to think on it!

Take heed from Solomon’s warning: 

Don’t allow the illusions of this world to “…cause you to yield.”

Debbie


No comments:

Post a Comment