Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Stepping Stones of Potential


Commit your way unto the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. 
Psalm 37:4

Last week we used this verse to discuss the importance of recognizing the potential  God has given each of us. Here is my testimony about the Stepping Stones of Potential God has set before me throughout my life. 

POTENTIAL-A God-given gift and desire placed in your heart by God Himself that enables you to fulfill His purpose for your life~Debbie’s definition.

I have always been interested in education. My mom says she knew when I was 3 that I would be a teacher. My junior year of high school I dedicated my life to Christian Education. I attended Baptist Bible College in Springfield to prepare myself for that goal. I spent nearly 25 years teaching in various Christian Schools and working heavily in Children’s ministry in our church. For the past 4-5 years I have headed up the Children’s ministry at our current church. I have assisted my husband in leading youth groups. I have planned, organized, or have had lead positions in numerous VBS programs.

So, why is it that when my current role landed ‘plop’ in my lap, that I feared and doubted my ability to take it on? God has provided me the experience. He has directed my paths. He has led the way. For me throw up my hands and say, “no way” would lead to those dreaded words from last week:  “She had so much potential.”

Here is the story:

My latest school needed to make cut-backs, and I was ‘economically eliminated’ in 2010.  Even through that, I now know God was preparing my heart and increasing my potential for His next ‘job’ for me.  Little did I know at the time that it would stre-e-etch me to reach that God-given potential.

I broke through my comfort zone and became involved in a Party Sales company which increased my confidence with the adult world.

Last fall, just days before school started, I was approached to co-direct a preschool/childcare facility through the reorganization process.  I felt very comfortable about MY responsibilities, knowing that my co-director could take care of my ‘weak’ areas.  Well, guess what! In the spring the co-director resigned due to her pregnancy. The administrator says, “Debbie, why don’t you just take the Director position”.

I started to say,”UH, I Uh….” You know, the stammering around….

But then it all started to make sense. I knew God wouldn’t place me in a position I couldn’t handle. I began to recognize—He had been adding potential all throughout my life, and I was at another stepping stone.

So, deep breath~~~lots of prayer~~~~continuing to build confidence~~~God and I can do this!

Years and years ago God gave me a desire—and the potential to fulfill that desire~Now it is my responsibility to reach that potential.

The same is true in your life. Like we discussed last week, if you are truly seeking God’s direction, your desires are His desires-follow the stepping stones~~REACH YOUR POTENTIAL.

Keep Stepping~~
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment