Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Just What are Increased Talents?



 It’s ‘funny’…I guess I should say pretty amazing…how God takes His Word from a sermon three weeks ago and whacks  you over the head with it (lovingly, of course) right when you need it! 

The stewardship parable in Matthew 25:14ff has always been a confusing parable to me. Even though the ‘talents’ referred to in this passage refer to a monetary unit of exchange, it can be compared to being given a specific responsibility or resource.  I understood how to invest money, but how does one invest responsibilities…add more responsibilities?  

Our pastor spoke on this topic three weeks ago to begin our annual Stewardship Month at church. Each week since, he has reviewed and reiterated that main point in the following manner. “When you stand before the Lord with what He has given you, will you be able to present it back to Him in a ‘better’ condition”?  

Or, as described in the Expositor’s Bible Commentary, have I developed the resources God has entrusted to me?

Suddenly it made sense. It is not a matter of developing or creating MORE talents/gifts or responsibilities, but improving upon and developing the ones we have been given and using what has been bestowed upon us more effectively.

I was pretty pleased with myself for saying, “Now I get it!” But I didn’t apply it till last Sunday morning…(Yes, I had to fight to keep myself from thinking this through during the sermon!)

God blessed me with the desire and the ability to teach from my early toddler/preschool years of teaching my baby dolls. My mom always said that she knew I would be a teacher from the time I was three years old. 

I’ve developed that ‘talent’ by continually increasing my education through special high school classes, college, numerous seminars and conferences, and a post-grad degree. I have had many years of experience in a variety of venues and opportunities.  Yep, I have improved upon that God-given responsibility/talent throughout my life…and continue to use that talent to minister to and teach others.

But...

I also recognize that I have had a desire (and, I feel) a talent for writing since my high school journalism days (see archives…January 2011-blog #1). I’ve realized that a God-given desire/talent actually means a God-given responsibility...

So...

What have I done to improve upon and use that  ‘talent’ more effectively?  Not much. I’ve practiced with it. I’ve used it-tentatively.  But, have I really put enough into improving and/or developing that responsibility to deem it more effective? Will I be able to present this ‘talent’ back to the Lord in a ‘better’ condition?

Even though I am sharing these thoughts for you to consider in your life, I’m beginning to think that I am secretly writing to myself! 

Ok, Debbie…what ARE you going to do about it?    
   
I am challenging myself to be accountable and keep you informed about the developmental steps along my journey.

What about you?  Do you have some God-given interests/talentsor responsibilities that you need to start developing…before the Master returns? 

Time to start developing…
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment