Friday, January 23, 2015

Remembering Past Goals



 I'm back! A new part-time job that took a lot of full-time to get started kept me away for awhile. But, as you will see, I am ready to get back at it!



Two weeks ago our son was sharing with us about his next goal at his workplace. He had been made aware of an opening that interested him. He immediately began asking questions as to how he could prepare himself for that position should it come open again in the future. He is already working towards those requirements.

I expressed to him how proud I was that he continued to have a goal for his next stage in life.  He, my husband, and I talked about how important that was and how everyone should have a next step goal.

I got to thinking about myself. Do I have a next step goal? What could it be? From the position I am in currently, the next career step would involve full-time. That doesn’t interest me at all. The next educational step would involve a PhD or DRE….sorry, but that doesn’t excite me either. So, I was left with….Is there a next step? You mean,  there is no goal? That sounds so counter-productive considering our family conversation.

As I was getting ready for work a couple of days ago, I had a random (God-given) thought about one of the blog posts I wrote a few years ago. I was reminded that it had been awhile since I have written (I haven’t written much since I began my part-time teaching). I had thought about it, but a topic never seemed to come to mind.

After reviewing this particular post, I remembered how much I love writing and how I had once considered having one of my blog series published. How could I have forgotten about that? Then it hit me…..that had once been my next step goal, and when I reached a next step (back to teaching), I neglected to move writing to my next, next step.

I do have a next step goal. But, I need to start working towards it. So, this post is my next post. Now I just need to take those steps, as my son did, to start preparing to reach that next level.  I plan to start looking into the publication process and taking specific, well-placed steps towards that goal.

Prayers appreciated!

Debbie



No comments:

Post a Comment