Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Blended Service

As I was trying to think of a title for this segment, I wanted to go with something along the lines of merging Mary and Martha,  but that is the same idea Joanna Weaver used in her concluding chapter (even though I thought of that terminology before I got to that last chapter L). So, how could I keep that same thought with different terminology? I sat and went through synonyms in my mind and came up with blended-which made me think of churches which refer to their worship time as a ‘blended service’. AH! Perfect! Blended Service—that is exactly what our service to the Lord should be~~ a little Martha and a little Mary.
Personally, I prefer a blended service. I really enjoy worshipping with a balanced mixture of 'traditional' and 'contemporary'. So, I find this idea of blended ‘service’ to be a very practical and sensible  idea, not to mention, biblical.
We have already discussed the dangers of too much Mary as we looked at James 2:14-17-Faith without works to back it up is dead. We discussed Jesus’ examples and teaching about going above the call of duty and going out of our way-whether we feel like it or not in an effort to demonstrate Christ-like compassion to the hurting. Another passage that follows this same thought is found in 1 John 3:16-18.
We have already discussed the dangers of too much Martha as we looked in depth at Luke 10:40-41. We have seen the answer to this danger when we studied Psalm 46:10~~ Be still and know that I am God.
But I would like to add one more concern. Consider the teaching of Matthew 7:21-23. Please consider, are you doing the Mary-like things (verse 21) apart from the Lord?  Are you doing the Martha-like things (verse 22) completely without the Lord? We will look more at this when we get into our study of John 11 and look at Martha’s answer to Jesus’ most-pointed question, “Do you believe?”
We ended our last Mary/Martha segment with the following two statements that bear repeating.
Martha, do you temper your Martha deeds with a devoted Mary heart and  take time to “Be still and know?"
Mary, do you express your devoted heart with Martha-like deeds with love and compassion?
I asked people from my church to help me think of an appropriate chorus or hymn that would express the dilemma of too much Mary and one to express the dilemma of too much Martha. The following old hymn was mentioned for both! As I read through the entire hymn, I quickly noticed that it wasn’t divided with one verse to encourage Mary and one verse to encourage Martha. Phrases were arranged throughout each verse to encourage both. Now, I doubt seriously if the author had Mary and Martha in mind as he penned these lyrics, but thank you Wm. D. Longstaff for such encouraging words for all the Marys and Marthas that have struggled through the years.

Take Time to be Holy
Take time to be holy, Speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, and feed on His word.
 Make friends with God’s children; help those who are weak;
forgetting in nothing His blessings to seek.

Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
 much time spend in secret with Jesus alone;
 by looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
 thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy, let Him be thy guide,
 and run not before Him, whatever betide;
in joy or in sorrow still follow the Lord,
and looking to Jesus, still trust in His word.

Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,
each thought and each motive beneath His control;
thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.

Can you pick out the Mary phrases and the Martha phrases?


It is all about balance-all about blended service!

Take time to be holy,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment