Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Humble Brag? A Shared Blessing?

I had something light-hearted started to publish this week while I am in Florida visiting my parents. But, we have been busy doing things like going to the beach and visiting the Cardinals Spring Training Facility. Plus, not having the internet access I thought I would have, I was not sure just if I would get anything up.
So, I have been trying to keep everyone caught up on how things are going via my iphone and facebook. Yet, I have been worried and careful to not sound like it was too wonderful and make everyone ‘mad’ at me! 
Well, last night’s episode of NCIS LA got me thinking along a new train of thought. So hopefully I will get over to a Wi-Fi place and get this published later this week.
The joke among the NCIS team (February 22, 2011) was “That is a humble brag.  I thought, yea, all my Florida blessings this week would be considered a humble brag.  But these great and wonderful opportunities don’t come from me. They weren’t done by me. They were done FOR me by my loving and gracious Heavenly Father. So, why shouldn’t I share them?
After all, I can’t think of a particular verse that says, “SH! Don’t tell your friends about how great God is and all the wonderful things He does for you.” (Except for one in the gospels-but God had a particular purpose for that). No, Scripture tells us to “Go home to your friends and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you...” (Mark 5:19).  Throughout the Old Testament God tells the Children of Israel that He blesses them so that the nations may know of the greatness of The One True God-The God of Israel.
I guess, then, I should share how thankful I am for this awesome opportunity and the wonderful blessings the Lord has afforded me this week. Because, God is good~~ all the time!

            I am thankful for 80 some odd degrees and sunshine the last week in February.
            I am thankful for the opportunity to travel with my husband as he attends a conference in Orlando in February. (I am thankful for a wonderful, loving husband who wants me to travel with him!)
            I am thankful for Allegiant Airlines!
            I am thankful that the humming noise in the house is the AC instead of the heater.
            I am thankful for getting to wear shorts and capris instead of long johns and heavy coats!
            I am thankful for flip-flops instead of boots! (I even prefer my flip-flops over my orange boots!)
            I am thankful for the opportunity to travel down to Jupiter to visit the Cardinals Spring Training Facility.
            I am thankful for the combination of heat and humidity that made it hard for me to breathe as we were walking to the practice fields.
            I am thankful for healthy, loving parents who are willing to drive two hours so we could do so!
            I am thankful for sitting outside in a lawn chair past dark and visiting with neighbors in February.
            I am thankful for the bug bites I received while sitting outside after dark.
            I am thankful for sitting on the patio at McDonalds for lunch in February.
            I am thankful for wanting to hurry outside and then strolling slowly to the car.
            I am thankful to be going to the beach in about an hour!!!!!!!!
            I am thankful for the sunburn on my neck.
            I am thankful for the opportunity to see Discovery lift-off (if no last minute delays).
            I am thankful for the opportunity to visit with old friends.
            I am thankful…….for whatever else comes along this week.

So, the choice is yours-- rather to roll your eyes and consider this a humble brag-or to take an opportunity to praise the Lord for His goodness to a dear friend! Scripture tells me to share God’s blessings and give Him the credit, so that you may get a glimpse of His greatness and be encouraged by His blessings to His children. I sincerely trust you take this as an opportunity to praise the Lord for His blessings towards us everyday!

Having a blast!
Love you all,

Debbie
(Next week we will get started with John 11.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am ALL FOR giving this gratitude to our GOOD Father and Lord! Having counted my own numerous blessings this week, I can truly rejoice with you, even as the thunder rumbles outside my home and the rain pours down. Praise Him for such an awesome week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS> The Discovery launch was absolutely awesome!!! Picture perfect-a beautiful sight!

    ReplyDelete